Friday, August 13, 2010

Names Vent

Disclaimer: This post contains my opinion. This post doesn't matter. If you disagree with my opinion, we can still be friends, I hope. I do pretend to be an authority on names, but I guess I'm not really, so please don't take anything here personally!

First of all, I dislike trendy names. Sometimes I like the actual names, but hate the trend. For example, I think the name Michaela is very cute. I can even abide SOME of the alternate spellings, like Mikayla. Remember when everyone was naming their girls some form of Michaela? I don't think that's cool.

I especially hate boy names used on girls, especially when it's trendy. Madison is the perfect example. There is nothing about Madison that looks or sounds feminine. It has the word "son" in it for crying out loud! Other masculine names I hate when used for girls are Morgan, Jordan, Jaden, Addison, Kadin, Riley, Payton(!!) and Taylor. How is Taylor feminine?

I also hate when people add the letter 'y' to a perfectly masculine name and apply it to their baby son. Like "Jordyn." Suddenly, the boy name LOOKS girlish. Sure, it's cutesy now, but when Jordyn is in Jr High, everyone will call him a girl. However, if you must use a boy name for your girl, then by all means, add a y. Madisyn actually LOOKS girly. Still sounds like a boy though.

I now conclude my name vent.

3 comments:

aubree said...

how sad! i like the names madison, rile and morgan for middle names for girls.. we can talk about this later.. you have about 5 years to get over this haha

RysJunk said...

I know a few people with those names (a girl named Madison in particular) But I have a few names that I cant stand either... we can still be frineds -UNLESS you have a particular hatred towards "Ryanne"... then we will have to throw down ;)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Madison as a boy name. I'm just saying :)
Brandi